Where did 'GALentine's Day' come from, and how to celebrate!
Whether you’re single and ready to mingle or officially OFF the market, the most important holiday of the year is on the horizon. You guessed it, Galentine’s Day! Started by the iconic Leslie Knope of Parks and Recreation, this un-official holiday is all about ladies celebrating ladies. In her own words, “every February 13th, my ladyfriends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style.” We all know our girlfriends are our real soulmates - men will come and go, but your girls are forever, so gather up your BFF’s and show some appreciation for the girls you just can’t live without.
Galentine’s Day is all about spreading the love to your nearest and dearest lady friends, so we’ve thought of the perfect ideas to celebrate.
1. Be the hostess with the mostess and treat your soul sisters to a Galentine’s get together. Go all out and throw a seriously sophisticated soiree, complete with IG-friendly decor and cocktails (frosé, anyone?), or keep it simple and stick on a back-to-back Bridget Jones marathon with a side of pepperoni passion and garlic bread. Whatever you do, remember it’s ‘ovaries before brovaries’, so clear out your calendar for some serious quality time with your favourite ladies.
2. Show some love to women everywhere, and keep an eye out for volunteering programs giving something back to the girls in your community. Valentine’s Day can be a lonely time of year for older people, so Age UK have set up a telephone befriender scheme to help connect volunteers to over 60’s in a free, safe and fun way. Volunteer as a telephone befriender | Call in Time befriending. If you and your girls are certified beauty addicts, spend the evening clearing out your unwanted and unopened cosmetics and pack up a donation for the Hygiene Bank. Donate.
3. Looking for businesses owned by women is a great way to shop for Galentine’s gifts. Research some local women-led ventures like boutiques, MUA’s or beauticians, and treat your bestie (or yourself) to a little something. If you really want to spread the love this year, why not give the gift that just keeps on giving - a Roccabox subscription (and the more you gift, the more you save). We’re proudly run by women, for women.
4. You don’t have to splash the cash to give your bestie something special. Send them a cute text message, a collage of photos from your favourite holiday together, or even a good old kitten GIF - just a little something to make them smile. Letting someone know you’re thinking of them is the best present you could give.
5. Banish the winter blues once and for all and indulge in some serious R&R with your bestie. We’re talking mani, pedi, facial, Swedish full body massage, brow lamination, hydrafacials - go on, you deserve it, girls.